If you take care of your body, it will take care of itself.
There seems to be a lot of friendly preconceptions (and misconceptions) about my "wellness" regime. :) So here's setting the record straight to show you that I'm only human... perfectly imperfect. :)
- yes, I do eat A LOT.
- no, I don't workout everyday (maybe 3-4 times a week).
- no, I don't workout for hours (I stick to short 30-minute intense workouts and I always stretch after).
- yes, I sometimes like to take a short 10-15-minute power nap.
- no, I don't need the nap (but I choose to have it because they give me a BURST of energy as though I just woke up from a good sleep).
- yes, I get around 6 hours of sleep a night (sometimes 7-8 hours depending on my schedule). Either way, that's more than enough for me.
- yes, I LOVE having wine with dinner.
- yes, I have a "sweet tooth."
- yes, I indulge in savoury desserts 2-3 times a week.
- yes, I have a little low-fat yogurt ice-cream almost everyday if I don't have my dessert.
- no, I don't feel bad about it.
- yes, I do sometimes just drop down right on the spot (at home) and do burpees with knee tuck jumps and pushups if I know I'm going to eat "bad."
- no, I don't feel silly doing that!
- yes, I eat "bad" 2-3 times a week.
- yes, I eat "good" 4-5 times a week.
- no, I don't drink coffee, but I do drink my Matcha green tea every day.
- yes, I always squeeze fresh lemon in my water (I drink at least 8 glasses of water a day).
- no, I don't drink pop (AT ALL).
- yes, I practice deep power-breathing here and there throughout the day (in the car, in the morning, before bed).
- no, I don't like to take any kind of over-the-counter or prescription drugs to combat any discomfort (not even Advil).
- yes, I like to choose the most natural alternative if I feel discomfort of any kind (but I rarely feel any discomfort in my body).
- opps, I just lied! :) Okay, I admit, sometimes I feel discomfort; my muscles may feel sore after a crazy workout (but this kind of discomfort is one that feels SO DARN GOOD!! lol).
So no, I am not "perfect." As you can see, I drink, I like sweets, I don't always get enough sleep, I don't do long workouts — but I do make an effort to create the best balance I can and enjoy everything in moderation.
And yes, my approach to wellness and fitness is about creating a balance that works for you and only you—not everyone. Because every "body" is a little different, what works for one may not necessarily work for another. But here's the common denominator that works for ALL no matter what your body type — and that is, you can enjoy, but you MUST cooperate with your body. Don't just do enough to survive, but do more to help your body thrive!
Try new ways, test things out for yourself, consult with a professional. The key is to find your own balance and enjoy the process. If you take care of your body, it will take care of itself.